The following regulations have been made in order to enable the management to shape and preserve a natural area for the benefit of nature and for future generations of visitors.
They are essential to combine proper respect for the dead with a suitable management and planting programme in order to create a woodland that is peaceful, pleasant, ecologically rich and a fitting memorial.
- Burials will only proceed after receipt of the correct documentation.
- Embalmed bodies will be accepted only in exceptional circumstances.
- The normal burial plot will contain one interment only. Neighbouring plots may be reserved in advance.
- Reservations may be transferrable with the consent of Kelsey Woodland.
- Only natural, biodegradable materials will be permitted for coffins, shrouds etc. If there is any uncertainty, please contact the management.
- Flowers and other tributes may be placed on the grave following interment and will be removed at a later date. Flowers may be laid on graves at anytime.
- The placing of artificial flowers, toys, ornaments or other non-biodegradable objects is not permitted.
- No exhumations will be permitted except by lawful authority.
- Any religious or non-religious service is permitted as long as it complies with the law and is respectful of the Natural Burial Ground.
- Burials may be organised by a Funeral Director or by the family.
- The Burial Register will be available for inspection by prior arrangement.
- Scattering or Burial of ashes is by arrangement.
Plot may be purchased.
- Must be appropriate for a Natural Burial Ground, and agreed with the management in advance.
- Memorial trees and bushes must be from the approved list, and must also fit in with the planting scheme so that a sensible distribution of species is planted and can be maintained in the future.
- Flowers and flower seed may only be scattered if they have been approved in advance (many seeds sold commercially are inappropriate for this woodland).
- No picking of plants is permitted. Kelsey Woodland will manage and maintain the Burial Ground.
- Benches (with or without plaques), bird, bee or insect boxes, or similar, are all welcome.
- Should behave in a law-abiding and respectful manner in keeping with the nature of the site.
- Should wear appropriate clothing for a field/woodland.
- Owners must keep dogs on the lead, and remove their waste.
- Visitors should keep to the paths in order not to disturb the wildlife, eg ground-nesting birds.
- There are no litter bins – visitors must take their litter home.
- Switch mobiles to silent.
- Should park in the car-park and not in the lane.
- We accept no liability for injury to any person, damage to or loss from any vehicle whilst visiting the burial ground.